A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

June 30, 2007

Violence Hits Home

Gang Attack in Greenbelt

The person who was attacked was someone I know, and it was in a place that I know very well. It's scary to think that even now I have to consider being careful about where I walk at night.

The last thing I want to do is hide in my home and be scared, that accomplishes nothing. All I would do is give the power to the fucking jackasses like those kids that would attack people for no reason. I refuse to give that power to them, for far too long I had allowed myself to be powerless, and it's time to stand up and take the power back.

Already there has been talk on the Greenbelt listserv about this, and someone made the point that lately the area has had people coming in who clearly are driving from out of town and hanging out in the center. Some are afraid to come to the center when the sun goes down now. There's been talk that this needs to be a wakeup call for the city council and the police that there is a problem going on. I remember a few months ago that there was a discussion about putting cameras in the center, which set off a major debate over their effectiveness at curbing crime, and whether we were willing to be watched. Personally, I don't want to go to the center and be watched by cameras, even if I am not doing anything wrong. I get watched enough at work, why should I be watched like that in my private life. But I digress, my point is that I am sure that debate will be revived and it will get ugly again.

Still, I would rather increase my presence and take back the center, why should it be ruled by thugs, when it should be a place where people feel safe. My GLBT organization goes there regularly to have dinner and hold other events, I've already made the suggestion that we should try to be outside more, especially during this time of year. We'll see if others agree, I hope they do. I certainly don't want to run away and hide anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Scary... be safe!

    I was thinking of making this device, and calling it "spray 'em and shank 'em". Basically its a can of mase with a knife on the other side :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea, if you can just find a way to hold it.

    ReplyDelete