A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, dating, GLBTQ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

October 17, 2007

VA Beach Part 2

Saturday Morning I woke up early and took a ride on my bike on the boardwalk for some exercise. I stopped for breakfast at the Pocahontas Pancake and Waffle Shoppe. They have some great pecan pancakes and waffles. A bit of advice, it doesn't take much syrup to enhance the flavor, which I learned the hard way. I was feeling totally sugared out by the time I finished that meal.

Went back to the hotel and grabbed the bodyboard and hit the beach. I have never been bodyboarding before, so I got out there and slowly learned how to catch a good wave. After about an hour in the water, I headed to my spot on the beach, laid down, watched people for a while, and then proceeded to nap. I woke up with a nice bit of sunburn on my right side, ouch! Got up, went back to the hotel to rinse off, and decided to take a walk up the retail side of the boardwalk. I made a few inquiries into some things I wanted, but I was good and decided to wait.

Later in the afternoon I took a drive up Shore Drive to see what was available in the area. I got some nice pictures along the way before heading back in. That night I decided to catch an early bird special down at a local restaurant. I basically gorged myself on a seafood buffet, including crab legs, just because I felt like spoiling myself. The meal was good, and I got my money's worth, so I was cool with that. I read some more of Atlas Shrugged in the hotel before heading to bed.

Sunday was up, exercise, then breakfast, before hitting the beach again. This time I had better waves, and it meant a longer amount of time in the water. This time I was smarter about it and wore sunscreen to minimize any further damage. After about 4 hours on the beach, I headed back in and relaxed throughout the rest of the afternoon. That evening I hit a local pizza place for dinner.

Monday it was time to head back home. I finished some leftover Chinese food, then packed up and checked out of the hotel. I took one last walk along the water before I headed towards home. I stopped at the Yorktown Victory Center along the way. That place was fun in that it was a lot more interactive. I got to see medical care during the Revolutionary War, I also got to watch them demonstrate firing a mortar and a musket. There was lots of noise of course. I tried getting a picture of the mortar firing, but I think I timed it too perfectly because the picture blurred. I don't know if it was because I moved or because the vibration of the shockwave hit right as the shutter was open, but still, it was fun to watch.

Eventually I got home and unpacked. All in all, it was a rather enjoyable weekend. I could not have asked for more perfect beach weather as it was nice and warm, and the water felt great. I also came to a few conclusions that weekend. First and foremost, I rather enjoy being on my own, especially the aspect of being able to do whatever the fuck I want, and I don't have to answer to anyone for it. I am back in touch with the part of me that's a history buff because let's be honest, I may not be here forever, and I should see all of the historical things I can. I also know my wild side is alive and well in a number of ways. I really enjoy being out on the water in some way, shape, or form. I am always comfortable and it puts me in a good place. I still can't stand line dancing. I am who I am, and no one is going to control or change that about me. I don't need a man to make me happy, it's all in my own head.