A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

February 06, 2008

Lenten Stuff

So in case you didn't notice, it was Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday, which means Ash Wednesday is right around the corner. Now it's time for Lent to start once again.

JH surprised me the other night by asking about going to the Ash Wednesday service. This was after a conversation over the weekend about how much does he have to participate in church in order for me to be happy. The answer? He does not have to go to any services or events if he does not want to, but I do expect that I will be supported in my choice to go to church and church-related activities. That means no grief given to me about the time I take to go (unless it becomes obsessive) and no bitching to others about the fact that I am going. For my part, I don't apply any pressure to JH to go with me, I will invite him to major social events held at church, and I will not take it personally if he declines. If he's an E&C (Easter and Christmas) Episcopalian, that's okay by me. So it's still a little shocking at times when he actually asks to go with me to the Ash Wednesday service when I haven't even asked if he was interested.

As for Lent, of course what everyone hears about is what is being given up for Lent, but there's more to it. I used the time last year to do a lot of reflection on the gospels and where things were going with me, especially since I was in confirmation class at the time. I bitched yesterday about falling off the path in my journey to being healthier physically, so I am going to use the time to develop some healthier habits. I will be avoiding any sort of fried foods, which includes nearly all fast foods (not that I should be eating that anyway) and I won't drink any soda either. This won't bother me so much, I'm moving towards baking and grilling things more anyway, the only thing I'll miss is making grilled cheese, but I'll live ;-)

JH plans on laying off any fast food as well, but to keep from screwing himself out of something that's decently healthy such as Chipotle, he won't go to any place that has a drive-thru. Good for him for deciding to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment