A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

July 08, 2009

Follow the Norm?

It seems that the end of June through the beginning of July, I have set myself up to do quite a bit of traveling. Trips to new places, amusement parks, concerts, and camping have all been lined up. The common theme is that besides the fact that they are trips to do things I am very much interested in, they're also trips that I am taking by myself.

My travel is something that has come up as a topic of conversation, namely when people asking what I am up to for the upcoming weekend. One common questions that I get from many is if I am going with friends. When I mention that I am not, the standard response seems to be to give me a look of either sympathy or horror that I am going somewhere, and I am doing it on my own.

The thing I wonder is why? When I get these reactions it makes me wonder if I missed some memo that says that in order to go to a place like Carowinds, I absolutely have to take a buddy with me. If anyone can provide me with a copy of that memo, I would most appreciate it.

Thing is, I have interests that don't always match up with my friends, and there are times where I want to do something and my friends can't always join me. Rather than just not go because I can't find anyone to go with me at that time, I'll go on my own. The way I see it, I'm not going to screw myself out of something fun because someone I know can't attend. I know damn well if I were to get into that mindset that ten years from now I'd be looking back and going "WTF were you doing staying home just because you would have had to venture out alone?"

It has come to a point where I am beginning to find it a bit annoying to get the look. Should I just start lying and saying I'm going with other folks? Probably not, I suck at lying anyway. I guess at this point all I can really do is just deal with it, because not everyone is going to understand that yeah, it is okay to go alone on activities. You just learn to accept doing that for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment