A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

March 25, 2010

No Glee Here

I stirred up a bit of a hornets nest on my Facebook page earlier today with my commentary that I was going to have to ban the FOX channel from my TV in April. Why did I say that?  Glee is coming back on.  I'm going to make it known right here that I have not watched one second of Glee and I have no desire to ever watch it.  Here are my reasons why:

The Premise:  When I first heard about Glee, the premise I had been told was it was students and a staff member in high school that bring back the Glee club and it's going to be about their struggles with that and with being in high school in general.  That's an immediate turn-off for me right there.  I'm not interested in a show about high school or about teenagers in general.

The Sitcom Formula: We all know how it tends to work on shows like this. I can imagine that based on the premise that there's an ep where some kid gets picked on for being in the Glee club, his/her glee club friends band together and confront the bullies and somehow stand up to them, and suddenly the bullies see the light and they never start any crap again.  Ya know what though?  It is complete and utter bullshit.  Speaking as someone who took an awful lot of hell and grief in high school just for being in the choir, most folks who will call you a fag for being in the band or choir don't necessarily change their opinions.  They just learn not to express them when the teacher or someone who is in the band or choir that can kick their ass is around.

Not a fan of the musical:  While I do have one or two specific musicals that I have enjoy watching, I am generally not a fan.  I know, that might actually be shocking to some folks but most of the time I end up bored while watching them.

Setting:  As I mentioned above, this show takes place in high school.  High school was not a pleasant time for me (if you haven't figured it out already).  If you know me well enough outside of this blog, you've probably noticed I never talk about my teenage years.  There's a reason for that.  For me to watch a show about a place I absolutely hated, activities that helped cause a number of problems for me, and during a time that wasn't the greatest in my life, well, let's just say I would not be in a good state of mind.

So no, it's nothing personal, but it is definitely not a show for me, I'll stick with Mad Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment