A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

August 06, 2010

Music To Make or Break

Ever since I was young, I've been one of those folks who pays attention to the background music being used in the scene of a TV show, movie, or even video game.  I think it started with Looney Tunes.  I would notice the music being used in each scene and how each bit of it was used to convey more emotion from the scene.  As I got older, I started paying more attention to movie soundtracks, and could recall certain scenes of movies just by hearing a bit of the music that was used.

Then there's video games.  My favorite video game series is The Legend of Zelda.  I've been playing it since the first one for the NES, and I've almost taken back my title of having played and beaten every single one that was made.  Well who didn't end up having the original theme become an earworm for them at some point or another?  Then the series started becoming more music based, starting with Ocarina of Time.  In nearly every single produced after that, you're using music to advance in the game, whether it is playing an ocarina, conducting a magical baton, or howling into the sky.

What I really like though is when I can start hearing familiar themes being built on and used again in a whole new way.  As I have been playing through LOZ:Twilight Princess, I have noticed how the background music is now based off of a theme of Ocarina of Time, or a wolf song is from a prior game.  Considering that Twilight Princess is supposed to take place in between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, it's fun to try and pick out the original themes that the new music is based off of.  Of course, some areas use the same music (Zora's Domain) used in prior games, and that can work, but I like it when I can hear an actual remix.

As I've gotten older, I've begun to think more about how the music I hear helps me in recalling something and what my feelings are on it.  What may make a movie go from good to great would be if I could get into the music with it.  My favorite scary movie, besides the actual plot, would be the original Halloween.  You listen to that piano theme and it sets up those feelings of being out somewhere along in the dark.  It's the same with video games.  I've been listening to some old themes lately, and what I realize is that while Nintendo may not be for the most hard core of gamers, they write some of the most gorgeous music I have ever heard.  Maybe that's a reason why I have stuck with them over the years.

It's fun to be able to find this sort of stuff, and I can only hope it continues this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment