A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

December 02, 2008

Late Thoughts on World AIDS Day

I would have written this yesterday, but I was having some writers block.  Thank goodness a change of environment (coffee shop vs house) is all I need sometimes.

Yesterday was World AIDS Day, and the only thing I did different was go and buy a cup of Starbucks so they would make their donation to Project Red.  The reason I say that is because I continually make donations throughout the year via my paycheck to various organizations, including those that are dedicated to research and prevention.

I have known about AIDS for the last 19 years, and so much has changed, at the time I was learning about it, AZT had barely been approved and the other drug cocktails that would come along either had not been discovered, or had not been approved.  While we still have a long way to go, at least AIDS != Death like it once did.  Still, it is not something I would wish on anyone.

I hope that those I know who are living with HIV/AIDS are able to have a fulfilling life, but I ultimately hope we find a cure and a vaccination as well.

No matter who you are, be safe, there is no excuse to put your health at risk.  It is unrealistic to say that you should just stop having sex, but be safe about it.  Treat every new person you meet as someone that could be infected and that means wear a condom.  Don't forget to get tested regularly.  If and when you settle down with that one person, the both of you get tested and know for sure if you are clean or not.  After that, if you decide to go without the condoms, don't screw around with anyone else but your partner, and if you do, you'd better start wearing the condoms again.  Don't jeopardize your health, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment