A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, dating, GLBTQ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

September 21, 2009

Renn Faire, 2009

It's the fall season here, and that means it's time for the MD Renaissance Faire.  I decided to make my trip down that way this past weekend, and boy did I have some fun.

This year I finally caved to some insistence from some folks I know who work there and I borrowed some garb to wear.  To really do something different, I went dressed in a kilt, peasant shirt, and boots.  Did I wear that kilt authentically?  Maybe....maybe not ;-)

So I got to the faire and met up with RP, BMc, and MR since we had all decided to meet and hang out together throughout the day.  I also knew that RB, DB, and TB were going to be there as well.  We got inside and I ran into RB and DB and we talked before they headed off to catch one of the shows.  We stayed and watched a play about St. George.  Then it was onward to hit a few shops, have some drinks, and catch some more shows.  TB called and was unable to make it due to a massive water main break in Dundalk that meant he was going to be working.  Tough break for him.

There was one shop I stopped in and the girl there insisted that I needed to try on some of the vests there.  I admit I did look good in them, but they were priced out of range for me.  There was also this really awesome leather and suede cloak there.  Again, if I had money to burn that was one thing, but not at this point.  Moving on we eventually got down to where the Lingamore Cellars was doing a wine tasting.  I have a list of a few things I want to buy.  I must recommend the Mountain White as it was very very tasty.

For lunch it had to be a turkey leg for me.  That is just faire tradition.  I also was daring to buy a skewer of fried macaroni and cheese and share it with the group.  It actually wasn't bad at all, I might have to consider buying it again the next time I am there. 

After lunch it was wandering around some more and catching some shows along the way.  I also ran into JS and his new BF as well.  Then later on I ran into one of my supervisors from work and his family.  MR remarked later that it seemed like I knew everyone at faire.  It's probably due to the eclectic group of folks that I know ;-)  Part of the day was also spent chatting with JG and LB at their respective shops.

Eventually in the later afternoon, after finding a hat and awesome vest at the faire.  RP, BM, and MR had to take off from the faire.  I went and met up with RB and DB and their group and we hung out at the Whitehart until the faire closed.

After our respective goodbyes, I headed over to Crofton and met up with JG and LB for dinner with other faire workers.  It's always fun to show up to a restaurant still dressed in garb, kind of gives the waitresses a start.

Once again, faire was fun, even if my camera croaked in the process, stupid battery.  I'll remember to carry the spare next time.  At least I got some great pictures.