A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

July 18, 2007

Freecycle is a great thing

I have been doing major consolidation while I have been cleaning, throwing out lots of crap I don't need to have around anymore. However, I have quite a few items that either I haven't used, or were used but are still in good condition so they're not worth throwing out. Rather than let them clutter up the house, I've started using the local Freecycle group here.

If you're not familiar with Freecycle, the concept is basically that if you have items that you don't need, but don't want to throw out, and it's not worth throwing a garage sale for, put it up on Freecycle. You find the local E-mail list and you post that you have X item and give a description along with the area you live in. Someone responds asking for the item, and you make arrangements to have them come pick it up. You update on the E-mail list asking that it has been taken so that people stop asking. This is good for items you want to give away for free, you cannot sell items on Freecycle (why do you think free is in the name?!).

Believe me, you can also find some interesting items as well. People have given away furniture, electronics, books, yarn, craft supplies, and other stuff. I've used it to get rid of an old couch, and currently I'm about to send off some old beanbag chairs and a poster.

I'm sure there will be plenty more going on the list in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment