A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

December 11, 2007

I'm Not Normally a Betting Man...

Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot stand it when there are organizations that seem to be offended at every single little thing that doesn't quite jive with their little world. One of the guilty parties of this was GLAAD after their reaction to a commercial for a Snickers bar that aired during the Superbowl.

If you don't remember, check out YouTube. Besides the one that aired, there were three alternate endings on the Snickers website that you could vote for, and they would show the winner at the Daytona 500. Well GLAAD freaked the fuck out over the ads, charging that they were completely homophobic. Eventually Mars Inc. pulled the ads down from their website, and I think they showed an alternate ad.

Thing is, the ad was pretty freaking funny, I was at a superbowl party, and every single one of us were on the floor laughing. Did I mention that the room had about five gay men and one bisexual man there as well? No one was in the least bit offended by it. However, I was more offended over GLAAD and how much they freaked out over it, and that they only wanted the ads completely wiped out. Okay, so there was one ending that I think crossed a line, and that was where one of the mechanics hit the other in the nuts and slammed a car hood on him in order to "do something manly." But I would have been fine with just that ending taken down, and letting people vote on the other endings.

Enough bitching about that. I think this year I'm going to start a pool with my friends after the superbowl on which commercial will be most likely to offend GLAAD. The beauty of it is that we could easily create a few different pools, each with the name of an organization, person, or subject that has been known to land in the media for their overreactions. I will guarantee that whichever commercial manages to piss GLAAD off this year, it will be one that has me holding my sides from laughing so hard.

So, anyone else interested in starting pools on which commercials are likely to offend?

No comments:

Post a Comment