A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

November 12, 2008

Reflections on Turning 26

It's November 12, and that means that twenty-six years ago today, I was born.

What a year it has been since I hit the quarter century mark a year ago. At that time, I was just two months into my apartment and still settling into my space. I was in the middle of a fight with Pepco over my final bill over at the old place, because despite the notes that I did not have to pay that amount because it was in dispute, I was still being threatened with collections. On the social side, I had reconnected with a few friends, and started dating JH, which while it was fun, it ultimately didn't work out.

So what the heck did I learn this past year? I learned that there are a lot of destinations within reach for me to drive to, or at least find a cheap Southwest flight. I traveled to Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Georgia, and Arizona. Many of those trips were to go hit various amusement parks and ride lots of new coasters. I am now up to 97 coasters ridden, and I will break 100 next year. Considering there's Florida parks to visit, and I have a brother down in the area where I could crash, maybe I can cross 150 if I work at it. Besides that, I did visit my parents as well, which was sorely needed.

I got a bit more into acting again with performances in "Free to Be You and Me" and "Children of Eden." Even though performing Children of Eden kicked my ass, it also expanded my vocal range back to where it was in college, if not further. I really enjoyed that play overall and I made a few good friends out of it. We'll see if I do the next show, depending on what it is. I find I enjoy acting because despite the difficulties, the work becomes worth it when you see the audience get into it.

I also got a bit more in touch with the sports nut side of me with the number of games I attended in the past year, mostly baseball games. I did get to attend my first live NFL game, and I already went to another one this year and will be going to another one next month. One of my friends has also gotten me into hockey as well. Here's the way I see it though, I prefer sports where there's lots of action going on and you're not looking like a complete and utter prick if you're doing a bit of yelling as it happens. Between the four well-known sports in America, this is the order in which I would watch games:

1. Football
2. Hockey
3. Basketball
4. Baseball

Basketball might rank higher, except that I'm a Phoenix Suns fan so I don't get to see too many games out here ;-) I find that I am more willing to watch baseball if I want to relax, but I kind of prefer to get my blood pumping.

Over the last few weeks I am learning just how deep my inner strengths and talents go. Along with that is more confidence. I still have a ways to go, but I am finding that a lot of my old fears are vanishing, and I am becoming a bit bolder about stepping forward and taking charge. That's fine by me because I am maneuvering to take on more of a leadership position at work. It can only help me to be a leader at work if I am a leader in other parts of my life. I am taking full charge and I like it that way.

The other thing as of late is that my independence streak has come back, and not a moment too soon. I find that I am having a very enjoyable time doing my own thing whenever I want. There was a time period where I felt kind of awkward going somewhere completely on my own without anyone I knew going with me. Now I have no problem going out on my own, and there have been times where I feel like just being by myself anyway. Just yesterday I had lunch at a restaurant in Silver Spring I heard about but had not gone into, and I had no problem asking for a table for one. My general attitude as of now is that if you don't want to go with me, I'll go by myself. Whenever the next boyfriend comes around, he'd better be aware of that. If I decide I want to do something on my own, I will, and I don't need your permission or your approval to go do it on my own.

Speaking of work, I have been taking on more responsibilities as it is, and it has been paying off in big ways. Apparently my name is coming up among the higher ups for good things, and that will help me later on. I also pulled off some work that was nothing short of amazing, especially during an unexpected change of plans. Beside that, one of the projects that I have worked on since starting my career finally went into production, and it was one of the smoothest transitions we have ever seen when making a switchover. I am quite proud of that.

So it has been another productive year of growth and discovery. Despite any of the dramas that may have occurred, this year was better than last year, and from here it can only get better. I like where I am at now. I have my family, I have my friends, I have my health, and I have my independence. I am going to continue enjoying all of these things throughout the next year, and I can't wait to see where it leads next.

No comments:

Post a Comment