A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

June 14, 2009

If I had Any Doubt Before...

...I was shown today that there is a God who is looking out for me.

For the very first time in seven years, I lost my cell phone.  In this case, it had fallen out of my pocket at Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter Metro Station. I had gotten to Greenbelt and I was getting up when I realized that I did not have my cell phone, period.  I frantically searched my pockets and my bag, but it was gone, and while I suspected it was at Archives, I was now 11 stops away and it was likely picked up.  

During that search, I discovered on another seat of the train that someone had left their cell phone.  I picked it up and turned it in to a Metro worker so that hopefully whoever lost it would find it again.

In the meantime, I went home and put up a tweet and a Facebook status that said my cell phone was lost and not to text or call it unless someone thought they could recover it.  A friend of mine on Facebook, Shane, said he had found it, but I called bullshit because I thought he was just messing with me.  I went to the Verizon store so I could get the old phone deactivated, and also get the ESN because Metro's lost and found would not necessarily be able to match up my phone unless they had it.  Besides that, I needed a phone, simply because I am one of the many households these days that only have a cell phone, no landline.  So, I forked over the $150 it was going to cost me since I am nowhere near eligible for an upgrade and headed home.

When I got home, I had a message on Facebook from Shane, giving a description of my phone and where he had found it, and everything matched.  It turned out he had found the phone on the bench at the station and decided to open up the phone and see if he could figure out who it belonged to, and he recognized some mutual contacts, and then found a picture of me in the phone.  He called one of my contacts to let them know he had found my phone, and he was about to call another but then it had locked out thanks to me going to the store to get it deactivated.  I was floored that he was the one who found it and that he also works up near my apartment.  So arrangements have been made for me to pick up my phone tomorrow, and I will return the one I just bought.

I really truly believe Shane was meant to find my phone to get it back to me, but only because I had done the right thing in finding that other person's phone on the train and turning it in to Metro.  If I had not done that, I doubt I would have seen my phone again.  Call me crazy, but I am willing to take a leap of faith on this one.  The odds were very low that not only someone would find my phone and get it back to me (lots of people due to the ride festival), but that it was someone who knows me, and works near my neighborhood.  So because I did the right thing, I got back something very good in the process.

So major thanks have to go to Shane for finding my phone.  I can get it back and I should be able to get Verizon to switch my phone back to my current one.  I'm also hoping I can get them to waive the re-stocking fee that they will charge me for returning the new phone because I have not removed any of the protective covers or taken anything out of their bags in the box.  If not, well, $35 is much better than $150.

1 comment: