A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

June 23, 2009

Tragedy On the Rails

My heart goes out to all of those who are affected by the tragic collision that occurred today on Metro.  I hope and pray that those who were injured have a speedy recovery, and the families of those who were killed are able to find comfort.

I also hope the folks at Metro and the NTSB can figure out just what the hell happened, that it wasn't because of major stupidity on the part of a conductor, and that steps can be taken to prevent this from happening again.

Seriously, I am just floored that this collision even occurred in the first place.  For me, Metro has generally been safe and I put a lot of faith and trust in their staff that when I commute back and forth to work that I will get there safely and in a good amount of time.  I don't want something like this to become a common enough occurrence that I have to be continually on guard for the safety of myself and those whom I know. 

Edited To Add: I decided to pull up Metro's stats on ridership, they have a lot of folks who come through the system every day so they seem to generally be safe.  You're probably more likely to get hurt while driving or walking to the station than you are on a metro train.

1 comment:

  1. "For me, Metro has generally been safe and I put a lot of faith and trust in their staff that when I commute back and forth to work that I will get there safely and in a good amount of time."

    Safely, yes I'll give you that one. But the "in a good amount of time" bit is being generous from where I sit.

    Recent blog post: Timeline of Metrorail Accidents

    ReplyDelete