A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

May 09, 2010

4/13/2010 13:11, Gare du Nord Train Station, Paris, France

Musee de Orsay

Got up this morning, had breakfast, came back to the room, packed up my things and got checked out before stowing my bags in the luggage room. Since I had a few hours to kill before I had to board the train back to Amsterdam, I decided I'd make an attempt to go to the Musee d' Orsay.



Getting to the museum, I found there was a line out the door and wrapped all around the square.  This was not a surprise because it was Tuesday.  You see, in Paris, all the museums are open Wednesday through Sunday.  On Mondays, half of the museums take the day off, on Tuesdays, the other half of the museums take the day off.  In the case of the Musee d'Orsay, Monday was their day off, so that meant that all the folks who couldn't see it yesterday were there to see it today.  I decided to try the line and see how fast it was moving.  After about 10 minutes I bailed because I realized that by the time I actually made it inside the museum, I would have to run through there and then back to the metro station to get over to Gare du Nord and catch my train.  It wasn't worth doing that to myself, so I decided instead to head to the Arc De Triomphe.

Metroed over and got to the surface, where I walked around the circle that the Arc De Triomphe is at to get outside shots before I went under the street to go into the Arc.  I got to the top of the Arc and did get some good shots of the city, despite the fog-like conditions.

I came back to Anvers station and went up the street to get a banana and Nutella crepe.  I was able to carry on a bit of a conversation in French with the woman making them before I got lost.  The crepe itself was great, I know I made them once for a cooking in class for high school, I need to learn to make them again.  I went through the souvenir shops and bought a few trinkets before going back to the hostel and getting my bags and heading to the train station.  It arrives at 14:25 so I have some time to wait here, and I will be glad to be able to sit down in comfort on the train.

There was a new roommate last night at the hostel, her name was ES.  She is from Sweden and studying French in France for a few months.  She had been on vacation down south and was passing through Paris on her way back to school.  All of us in the room were up late drinking cheap wine and talking about current events, and also what it is like for her living in Sweden. Side note: The woman on my right is reading The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in French.  It is called "la communante de' Annean"  Eventually it got late and we all went to bed.

Redacted for this blog

They just flashed the platform number for my train, time to pack up here and board!

No comments:

Post a Comment