A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, dating, GLBTQ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

December 21, 2009

Reflections on my 26th Year

Yes I know it has been well over a month since I turned 27, humor me.  This is also post number 500, woohoo!

Another year is down already? Where the hell did it go? It certainly has been a busy year for me, but I think that because I was having so much fun with it, time just flew by.

Some highlights from the last year:


  • Parents came to visit and I took them to their first NFL game.
  • I wrote a paper that was accepted for publishing and presentation at an international software users conference.
  • I rode my 100th roller coaster in the world at Carowinds in Charlotte, NC on July 3, with a ride on Thunder Road (North Carolina).
  • Nearly went to Europe because of the aforementioned paper, but had my body decide to stop me from going (appendicitis).
  • Put myself on the waiting list to become a season ticket owner for the Baltimore Ravens, and switched my license plates to Ravens plates.
  • Visited Las Vegas for the first time in my life.
  • Logged lots of miles in the car traveling to various amusement parks and camping.

On the dating front, I was with TB for a few months, but ultimately that didn't work out due to schedule conflicts and life changes.  I used the rest of the year to stay single and learn more about just what it was I liked and what I wanted.  It also was a summer of drama for some of the couples that I knew, so it just gave me incentive to stay single.  I started to ease back into dating in the late fall, but it's still staying very casual.

I've come to realize that I am a person that tends to march to the beat of a different drum.  It took me an entire summer of hitting my head against the wall to figure that out, but that's no surprise because of my innate stubbornness.  I am attracted to a certain type of guy, and that kind of guy tends to be what is known as a "cub" which is part of the "bear" community.  Of course, the bears and cubs tend to hang out together, so if I want to find one, I head to where they hang out.  Here's the thing though, I came to realize that most of them are very vested in the bear community and tend to only stick with that.  I got bored with that rather quickly, yet I kept on trying, just to see if I could find anyone who wanted a bit more than just going to the same bars every week and always hanging out with the same people.  It turned out that the answer was no, so I finally had to admit to myself that I just didn't fit in with them and had to move onward.

I am also beginning to think that when it comes to some folks, I am too steady for them, and they tend to take advantage of that, whether they realize it or not.  I'm loyal to my friends, almost to a fault at times.  If I make plans with someone, I will stick to them, I rarely break them unless I absolutely have to.  I am also usually the one that can head out there and meet up with folks.  I think that because I am so steady and don't just flake, people will forget that they can call me up to hang out.  Usually in order to hang out with them, I have to be the one to call them, every...single...time.  It gets old after a while.  With some I have hit the point where I'm just not bothering to call them anymore just to see if they ever bother to call me or what.  So far I have been proven correct that I have had to be the aggressor, because they certainly haven't been calling me.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.

I am looking forward to the next year because I think it is going to be exciting.  I plan to continue with my having fun and going for new opportunities as they come along.  I think with a bit of work I could crack 150 coasters, especially when I take advantage of the free trip I earned from Southwest earlier this year.  I am thinking of going to California and hitting some of the parks there, but also going to San Francisco since the last time I was there, I was 10.

27 should be an exciting year for me, I had an exciting 26th, and I plan to keep it up.