A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, dating, GLBTQ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

May 06, 2010

4/10/2010 8:31, Anvers Metro Station, Paris

So I made it to Paris, but not without a few glitches.  After all the train issues, we were 1 hour 10 minutes late.  By the time I got out and got to the ticket machine for the Paris Metro, it was nearly 10 PM.  I tried to buy tickets for the system and that ended up being a disaster.  The problem was that the ticket machine only takes Euro coins.  I didn't have enough coins, only bills.  My next option was to try and run my credit card; no luck. My Mastercard and Visa were both refused despite the machine saying they were accepted.  I think it was because my cards lack a smart chip.

After the machine failure, it looked like I was going to be walking.  I saw a street map at the station, consulted it, came up with a route, and got out of there.  Of course, being completely unfamiliar with Paris meant that I was guaranteed to go the wrong way a few times.  Much like in Heerlen, street signs are mounted on buildings and not always easy to find.

I started by walking the wrong direction to find the Rue de Magenta, but then it was found.  I walked up until I found what I thought was Blvd. de Rouchechauart, but I was not sure until I figured out some of the signs at the intersection.  I got the pleasure of starting from #1 and had to walk to #37, so there was a long walk to get there.  However, I made it in one piece and got checked in.

I got up to my room and found it was dark and someone was already asleep, so I tried to be as quiet as possible and not wake him.  I dropped my bag on what looked to be like an open bed and then took my laptop downstairs to do some work.  I came back upstairs later and passed out, exhausted.

An hour later I was awoken by the other folks who were sharing the room as they had returned.  It turned out I had gotten into a bed that was claimed by someone.  Whoops.  In my defense, I saw the bed was empty, no stuff on it, and did not see the suitcases on the floor at the head of the bed.  Oh well, I moved to what was the actual unclaimed bed, and went to sleep.  I think this is why the hostel has a rule that when you leave for the day/night you're supposed to put your stuff on the bed.