A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

February 13, 2008

Yes, I Voted

Unless you've been living under a rock, you heard that yesterday was the Potomac Primary. I did carefully make my way across the slippery streets and sidewalks on foot to cast my vote, along with the thousands of others. At least I didn't end up falling, though there were a few close calls.

The lines were mercifully short by the time I got to the polling place, though they remained steady at about three deep. I was verified, got my card, cast my vote, and was done with it, easy as pie.

I ultimately decided to vote for Hillary Clinton and the delegates that would represent her. The big thing is experience, she's been there, she's dealt with Washington, she knows what it's like up there at the executive level. She has a number of great ideas that I agree with as well, and I think she is much more realistic about some of the complex issues, such as Iraq.

Don't get me wrong, Obama is a good candidate and if he wins the nomination, I will vote for him as president. However, reading his website and the things he wants to do make me think that he would be much more effective if he were to continue as a Senator rather than be president. Most of the things he wants will have to be introduced in Congress anyway, so why not have him be there at the level where he can help write and push through these bills?

I know not everyone is going to agree with me, but it is how I think and feel, and it came after days of talking with folks and doing my research. We'll see what happens with all of this, I just know I do not want John McCain to be the next president. I voted for him for Senate in 2004, and I regret that decision after he basically threw me and a lot of other people under the bus when he started kissing the ass of Jerry Falwell, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment