A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

December 22, 2009

Big Job News

I mentioned a while back that a supervisors position had opened up in my department and I had applied and interviewed for it.  While I had felt I had done well with the interview, I also knew I was competing against twelve other people for the position, and some of them would have longer tenure and possibly more supervisory experience than me and could have a better shot at earning the job.  However, I at least took a shot, and even if I didn't get the job, I'd at least have the experience and knowledge of what they could be looking for if another position came open.

Last Tuesday I had a pretty hard day at work with some stuff going on with a project that I had been pulled into.  After hours and hours of coding and such, it was getting to the end of the day and I was looking forward to a reprieve with my planned trip to Bourbon Steak with my friends.  The phone rings, and I'm not sure of the name on the display, but I figure it's one of the folks over in the sponsoring division and they have a question or want to report something in one of the programs that I need to look at.

I pick up the phone and the woman identifies herself as being from HR.  Already that makes me wonder what is going on.  She continues and tells me that she would like to make an official job offer for the supervisors position that I had applied for.

I nearly fell out of my chair.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I was actually being offered the supervisors job.  This was completely out of the blue for sure because my bosses had been tight-lipped about the recommendations they had made or if they had even heard anything about the decision from the higher-ups and HR.

I asked if I could give my decision by tomorrow (I needed time to process this).  She was fine with that, but wanted to know by morning.  I put the phone down, and proceeded to try and actually start breathing again, because I still could not believe it.  Once I got my mind cleared, I started rationalizing what had just happened, but I still couldn't believe it.

I could have waited until morning to say yes (which is what the back of my mind was screaming anyway) but I said screw it and decided to call back HR and give them my answer.  Could that have been bad form?  Perhaps, but considering they had originally wanted to get my choice immediately, I didn't think they would mind.  I got to the voicemail of the contact person and left a voicemail letting them know I would accept.  Five minutes later she called me back to confirm my decision.

So from here on out, I will now be in a supervisory role in my department at work.  For me that means I will be taking the lead on certain projects, but also overseeing someone in their roles.  I admit that it has been a while since I have been in this capacity, but I will work to learn and do the best I can.  I don't think I would have been picked if my bosses didn't think I could do well at it.

It still feels a bit surreal though, but I will get used to it in time.  With this, it certainly was the reason why the timing of going to Bourbon Steak was perfect, getting to celebrate at a nice place with good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment