A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, dating, GLBTQ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

August 27, 2007

Bye Bye Sams!


Bye Bye Sams!, originally uploaded by theblackdog2071.

As you can see, clearly I won't be using Sams Club anytime soon.

I've had the Sams Club membership since I moved here to Maryland. Mike was offered by Wal-Mart a Sams Club account, and they would just deduct some money every paycheck so he wouldn't have to deal with renewing membership, it was basically continuous. Since I was a "household member" I was allowed a complimentary card as well.

The closest Sams to me is in Laurel, and I would occasionally buy groceries from there, and use it to get cheap gas, but it was also enough out of the way that I didn't always want to make the trek. Well last Saturday I went to the Costco in Beltsville with some of my friends from church because they wanted to buy a few things for the after show party later. Since I was basically a Costco virgin, I figured I'd give it a shot. So I went in there for the few minutes we had, and i started to like what I saw, so I made plans with them to come back another day.

Tonight was the trip, complete with wandering down the aisles to see what all they had. They carry a number of the same things that Sams Club does, but they carry some better stuff as well. I was impressed to see the selection of fresh stuff from their bakery, including a tray with a turkey and cheese sandwich and Caesars salad for only $6, or their take and bake pizzas for $8, and they were the size of an extra large at Papa John's. Besides that, I could also buy the gigantic kosher hot dogs for cheaper for what I would pay for them at Sams, and these were the Hebrew National Brand (Sams has some no-name brand). More advantages are that it's closer to my place (5 min drive vs 20 min drive) and there's the cheap gas...currently 2.49 for unleaded, yay! So I finally said that yes, I was going to get a membership, and so I did.

Bye Bye Sams Club and the evil Wal-Mart corporation...hello Costco. I even know how to get to one in Phoenix for when I visit my parents. It also means one more connection to Mike that I don't have anymore.