A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

November 24, 2007

Things That Work, and Things That Don't

As I mentioned in my Thanksgiving post, I spent the day at Joshua's house. In the last few months I've grown to appreciate and enjoy our friendship. He's been good to me in a lot of ways, even if there are those who fail to see that.

Anyway, at the same time, I know he's not perfect either. I got some clarification on one part about him that can make me crazy, but it's not something that's a total negative either. So it depends on how one looks at it.

Joshua is a sweet guy, and he shows it in the fact that he likes to be helpful in some way, shape, or form. He's the kind of guy that if you need help building something, or need a ride, or want to borrow some tools or whatever, he's the guy that is willing to do that. However, there are times he takes it personally if you don't ask for his help. Case in point was that I was going through the Black Friday ad's and I ran across this 45 piece stubby set that was on special at Home Depot for $15. I laughed a bit and pointed out to Joshua that I had just bought that set for that exact price at Costco the day before.

Joshua then tells me, "Why didn't you ask me? I have stuff out in the shed you could have used." I said that I needed a socket wrench set anyway. Later I'm thinking about this and it hits me that Joshua likes it when someone can depend on him in some way, he seems to take it personally when someone does something for themselves when he could have done it for them or at least helped. Thing is, that clashes with my personality, mom and dad, if you're reading this, you know exactly what I am talking about.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I am very independent. Even if I get some help from someone or someone does something for me, I will also try to learn how to do that exact thing for myself so that I don't have to depend on them. Now if it is something best left to the professionals, that's one thing, but something as simple as having some tools around so that I can fix the legs on my couch or build a footboard for my bed is something that I will figure out how to do for myself. It's how I am, and I'm not changing that. If Joshua and I were still together as a couple, it would be something he would have to learn to deal with from me, I flat out told him that I was very independent when he first met me, so it's not like he wasn't warned.

I do appreciate that Joshua is willing to be a good friend, but he doesn't need to take it personally when I do something for myself rather than asking him. I'm sure there's someone else who is more receptive to having him be the one to take care of some things, it just doesn't happen to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment