A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

May 18, 2008

Sweet, It's Working

JH took one look at me the other night and said "Your belly is getting smaller."

I took a look in the mirror and I can see he's right. I notice the love handles are smaller than what they were a year or so ago. It looks to me that the investment in the ab workout DVD's are paying off at this point.

What I'm most proud of is that I am accomplishing this through good old-fashioned diet and exercise. No surgery, no pills, and certainly not one of the trendy diets that are out there. I have many good reasons for wanting to get in the habit of a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. The biggest one is for my overall health, especially with the family history of high cholesterol. Last year was a small reminder that it could happen to me when I tested with good overall cholesterol, but low HDL "good" cholesterol" and high triglycerides. The last thing I want to have to do is take drugs to control the cholesterol and destroy my liver in the process so it's all about the lifestyle changes.

There is one place where I will give myself credit, I've basically stayed within my same weight range since high school, between 180-190 lbs. I want to keep it that way, at least in terms of that if I do gain more weight, it's because I gain muscle and not fat.

Between this and the biking, I should be one healthy person by the end of this summer, provided the heat and humidity don't attempt to kill me later on. Thanks to a screaming deal on woot.com, I now own a heart rate monitor, so I can track just how I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment