A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, relationships, LGBTQ+ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

June 02, 2008


JH and I got to have a bit of a scare yesterday.

He hadn't been feeling well for part of the morning and took off from the Orioles game early, went home, had a nap, seemed to be fine. He had felt a bit of pain in his chest but it went away so it didn't seem like there was much to worry about.

However, before bed, the pains came back, and he was feeling a bit of tightness.

So we go downstairs, he talks to his parents, they all decide it might be best for him to go to the ER and get it checked out just to see what's going on.

So I drive him over to the local hospital, his mother following behind us. We get in, and he registers and is heading back there within minutes (that's triage for ya). JH's mom and I sit and wait, watching really bad late night TV. I get a text that they're taking the vitals, then another text that his blood pressure was really high and they were immediately hooking him up to an EKG. Of course I swear (right in front of his mother no less) when I see that text. I know that it's pretty routine if a patient says they're having chest pains to do an EKG to make sure nothing is seriously wrong there, but hearing EKG and high blood pressure does not sound like a good combination.

Eventually they bring him out, then he goes back in again to get a chest X-ray done. Then it's back out again to wait some more. Then it's waiting and more waiting. Finally we all get to go back to the exam room where JH throws on some scrubs and we wait for the doctor. The doc shows up and asks a few questions, takes his BP again, it's more normal this time around.

So what's the final verdict? JH had some inflammation of the cartilage in his ribs, so it was nothing too serious, plus his blood pressure had come down from the time he was first admitted. They gave him a prescription for the pain and sent us on our way. JH's mom headed home while we dropped into a local Rite Aid to get the 'scrip filled. Then it was home and bedtime.

I'm just glad he was okay and that it was nothing very serious.

I was also reminded of why I am not a big fan of the ER (sorry Mom). I don't fear them, I just hate the waiting, but I also know that it can't be helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment