A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, dating, GLBTQ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

June 02, 2008

Good News for Me

Since today was my extra day off, I did my usual thing of catching up on errands. Last month I had some bloodwork done to check my cholesterol levels, but I had not seen the results. I dropped into my doctor's office, and the person at the front told me the reason that I had not seen the results was because everything was normal, and they only get in touch with someone if things are not normal. So I'll take that as a good sign, but of course I asked for a copy of the lab results.

For those who don't know, last year when I had my cholesterol tested, I had a high level of triglycerides, and my HDL (good) cholesterol was low. That for me is a warning sign that I could develop Hyperlipidemia Type IIb and since I would not like to die of a heart attack in 30 years or less, it meant taking steps to see if I could bring the cholesterol under control. Diet and exercise changes were the big things, because as I have said before, I do not want to go on pills.

Well it looks like the lifestyle changes are working because things are more normal

Normal Ranges:

Cholesterol: 100-200
HDL: 40-59
LDL: 0-100
Triglycerides: <150

Old Results:
Cholesterol: 137
HDL: 37
LDL: 59
Triglycerides: 207

New Results:
Cholesterol: 141
HDL: 42
LDL: 71
Triglycerides: 141

So from what I can see, I dropped my triglycerides 66 points, which is great. I have raised the HDL to where it should be, and stayed within a good range for the overall cholesterol. I am thinking the LDL is a little higher than I want it to be, but that can be fixed. I know I can improve on the lifestyle stuff, and so I'll keep on doing what I am doing, and a bit more.